Try to identify these ten famous women from the descriptions of them.
1. American actress who rocketed to stardom as the astronaut Ellen Ripley in the 1979 movie “Alien”.
2. French singer, born in Paris, she became a street singer at the age of 15. She was nicknamed “the kid sparrow” by a night-club owner in 1935. She was famous for such songs as “Non, je ne regrette rien” and “Milord”.
3. American author of nine autobiographical novels about growing up on the frontier in the 1870s and 1880s, starting with “Little House in the Big Woods”.
4. New Zealand soprano born into a Maori background and adopted by a couple in Gisborne, who gave her a first name which is the Maori word for Bell.
5. German tennis player, seven times winner of the women’s singles title at Wimbledon. She has also won many doubles competitions with Gabriela Sabatini.
6. 19th-century novelist who adopted a male pen-name and wrote such books as “Adam Bede” and “Middlemarch”.
7. American country singer born in Locust Ridge, Sevier County, Tennessee, the fourth of 12 children of a mountain farmer.
8. British zoologist who gained fame for her research on chimpanzees in the wild, having conducted the longest continuous field study of wild animals in their natural environment.
9. American civil rights protester and activist who was imprisoned in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1955 for refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white man.
10. Portuguese-born painter who has been living in Britain since 1976. Her works include “The Cadet and his Sister” and “The Policeman’s Daughter”.