One Hundred Years Ago
We recently had a brainteaser about people who were born 100 years ago – in 1907. Now try to answer these questions about events that occurred in that year.
1. Name the capital of Jamaica, which was damaged by an earthquake in 1907.
2. “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” was a revolutionary painting which heralded the arrival of cubism. Which artist painted it in 1907?
3. In 1907, who became the first English writer to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature? He wrote “The Jungle Book” and “Kim”.
4. Name the state which was admitted to the USA as the 46th state in 1907. It is bounded on the north by Colorado and Kansas, and on the south by Texas. Tulsa is one of its chief cities.
5. What is the nickname for a stupid pair of men, especially one tall and one short, named after two such characters in American comic strips drawn by Bud Fisher from 1907?
6. What is the title of the greatest play of J. M. Synge, which was first staged in 1907 at the Abbey Theatre?
7. Brooklands is the name of a former track near Weybridge, Surrey, UK, one of the first purpose-built circuits for what sport?
8. Which English collector of folk songs and dances published “English Folk Song” in 1907?
9. Which composer’s eighth symphony, written in 1907, requires a thousand performers: was it Stravinsky, Mahler or Rachmaninov?
10. Name the largest gem diamond ever found, which was presented to King Edward VII on his 66th birthday in 1907.