Friday, 17 August 2007
Many rock and pop groups have a vocalist who is the best-known member of the band. See if you can answer these questions about lead singers.
1. Who was the lead singer of the glam-rock group Queen until his death in 1991?
2. Who is the lead singer of the Irish rock group U2?
3. Who is the lead singer of the Rolling Stones?
4. Jim Morrison was the lead singer of which Los Angeles-based rock band of the late-1960s?
5. Thom Yorke is the lead singer of which English rock group formed in 1987?
6. Which US pop vocalist was lead singer of the band No Doubt, and also had solo success with the 2001 single “Let Me Blow Your Mind”?
7. Who is the lead singer of the British rock band Coldplay?
8. Smokey Robinson was the lead singer of which group from 1957 to 1972?
9. Who left Genesis in 1975 after seven years as lead singer with the group?
10. Which English comedian was the lead singer of a group called Seona Dancing during the early 1980s?
Questions set by Tony Augarde,
author of “The Oxford Guide to Word Games”
1. Freddie Mercury.
2. Bono (Paul David Hewson).
3. Mick Jagger.
4. The Doors.
6. Gwen Stefani.
7. Chris Martin.
8. The Miracles.
9. Peter Gabriel.
10. Ricky Gervais.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!