Friday, 03 August 2007
There is a huge number of islands in the world. Many of them are in groups – also known as archipelagoes. See if you can answer these questions about various island groups. [Answers are down below]
1. Which group of Spanish islands off the NW coast of Africa includes Lanzarote, Tenerife, Grand Canary (Gran Canaria) and Palma?
2. Which country in East Asia consists of four main islands: Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu, and many smaller islands?
3. Name one of the four large islands that are the main part of the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean Sea.
4. Which group of islands in the English Channel includes Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Sark?
5. The Cyclades is a group of islands in the South Aegean Sea which forms a department of which country?
6. Which republic consists of an archipelago of over 7,000 islands in the western Pacific which includes Luzon and Mindanao?
7. Which group of islands in the Pacific Ocean helped to inspire Darwin’s theory of evolution after he visited them on his expedition with HMS Beagle in 1835?
8. Which group of islands off the west coast of Scotland includes Skye, Rum, Mull, Iona and Benbecula?
9. Which island nation in Southeast Asia includes Sumatra, Java and Celebes?
10. Which group of volcanic islands in the South Atlantic includes islands called Nightingale and Inaccessible?
Questions set by Tony Augarde,
author of “The Oxford Guide to Word Games”
1. Canary Islands.
3. Majorca (Mallorca), Minorca (Menorca), Iviza (Ibiza) or Formentera.
4. Channel Islands.
7. Galapagos Islands.
8. The Hebrides (or Western Islands or Western Isles).
10. Tristan da Cunha.
How did you do?
0 – 1 Mmmm, not exactly brilliant.
2 – 5 A reasonable stab.
6 – 8 A good showing. But there’s still room for improvement!
9 – 10 You really know your stuff. Well done!